Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cooking School


Last night I went to cooking school with my friend Dena. One of the Publix's in Atlanta offers cooking classes, which funny story, Matt actually bought me for my birthday, but via Kroger. The Kroger school closed, and I never got to take a class. But then I found out that Dena's husband Rob also bought her cooking classes for her birthday (did they collaborate?!) at Publix.

Here's a link to the school website: Publix Apron Cooking School

Anywho, we took the Pasta, Risotto, and Gnocchi class last night and made the following: Lobster and Tarragon Risotto; Chocolate Dessert Risotto; Gnocchi; Saffron Ravioli Stuffed with Mussels and Fresh Fennel; Pasta with Bolognese Sauce.

I will post the recipes separately.

It was really fun. There were 12 students, and 2 teachers. The teachers prepped most of the ingredients for the toppings, but we made the pasta, gnocchi and risotto and helped with the sauces. Everything turned out pretty good - the pasta dough for the ravioli was a little thick, so if we were to make it again, I'd use my handy dandy KitchenAid attachment and make it super thin. I'm totally inspired to make gnocchi. This was something I la, la, loved in Italy. And it is simple! And one of the girls in the class suggested making it with sweet potatoes or butternut squash. So I may give that a whirl, as well.

If you are lucky enough to have a Publix Cooking school near you, I highly recommend. Even if you don't, check out some of your other supermarkets - they may have something similar.

No comments: